Before play kicks off, lets get to know a little bit more about Thursday's competitiors.
- The last two tournament champions, Jack Sock (2015) and Fernando Verdasco (2014) will be in action Thursday.
- Lukas Lacko is attempting to reach his 12th ATP World Tour quarterfinal. None of his previous 11 quarterfinals were on clay.
- Feliciano Lopez will be attempting to reach the quarterfinals here for the second straight year and third time in four appearances.
- Sock is bidding to be the first back-to-back champion at this event since Andy Roddick in 2001-02.
- Matthew Barton earned his first career win on clay in the opening round. The 24-year-old Australian is playing just the second ATP World Tour event of his career.
- Verdasco is bidding to win his 10th career match at River Oaks (with just two losses). He would join Querrey (13) and Isner (12) as the only active players with double digit win tallies here.
- Marcos Baghdatis made history earlier this season by extending his Davis Cup match winning streak to 36, surpassing the mark of 33 that had been held by two-time River Oaks International finalist Bjorn Borg.
- Tim Smyczek and Donald Young are facing off for their 15th time in their professional careers, but just the second time at the ATP level. Ironically, their only ATP match came with a quarterfinal berth on the line just seven weeks ago at Delray Beach, which Smyczek won. Young has won eight of their previous 14 matches.
- Bob & Mike Bryan have finished as the No.1 doubles team on the ATP World Tour 10 times in their career. They count five U.S. Men's Clay Court titles among their record 109 team titles.